Tate is the priority destination for modern art and design enthusiasts in London and it is not meant for all. This was originally conceived to be a one-stop destination for modern art, known as Tate gallery in 1897, but in 2000 it expanded into four major sites. Of all these, Tate modern is the most popular and hence it is one of the top 3 tourist destinations in the United Kingdom. So, in this article, we will discuss the specialities of Tate Modern and the tours available.
The Tate Modern
The original structure of the Tate modern museum was a WW2 bankside power station by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Moreover, this museum has a huge photography collection, live art, film and performance exhibits along with modern paintings. Outside the galleries, there are even temporary art exhibits, installations and street performances. In the past few years, there has been an emphasis on international and female artists.
As you move from one gallery to the other there will be at least one art piece that will steal your attention. It must be noted that as you move across the rooms, some have odd features such as angles and ceilings. The art exhibits are organised inside these galleries according to the art movements they belong to such as Minimalism, post-war abstraction, surrealism etc. Some of the world-famous artists whose works are on exhibit at the Tate modern museum are the following.
- Pablo Picasso
- Salvador Dali
- Piet Mondrian
- Henri Matisse
- Paul Cezanne
- Jackson Pollock
- Joan Miro
- Rene Magritte
- Pierre Bonnard
- Mark Rothko
- Andy Warhol
- Ceal Floyer
- William Eggleston
- Josef Albers
- Josef Albers
Tate Modern Private Tours
There are different types of private Tate modern guided tours available, serving to various types of audiences.
- Private Tours: This covers the collection displays in general or can be based on a theme tailor-made to your choice because expert Tate guides will be guiding you.
- Permanent Collection Tour: The highlight of this tour is permanent collection and you can also choose a specific gallery as well.
- Foreign Language Tours: This tour is for foreign tourist and art enthusiasts in their native language. Some of the languages are Spanish, German, Italian, Russian, Japanese, Mandarin and French
- Tailored Tours: You can tailor tours to your very specific need and can be done on an individual basis.
- Interactive Tours: These tours are provided by art educators and it includes discussions, exploring ideas behind artworks. Here audiences can ask questions, make sketches of the artwork etc.
If you are a modern art enthusiast or into art, Tate modern is an ideal destination to experience and get inspired. Hence, you could also take your family for a tour to provide them with a memorable experience.